6 Entertainment Ideas for Truckers While On The Road
Jun 8, 2022
Implementing these entertainment ideas for truckers can help keep your fleet members happy while they’re on the road.
Truck drivers can be out on long hauls for weeks at a time with hours to kill every day as they crawl through traffic jams, cross state lines, and wait for crews at the loading and unloading dock. Whether it’s behind the wheel or during mandatory rest and recovery time, every trucker needs a great way to stay entertained and pass the time.
Truck driving is a fantastic career, especially if you want a high-wage, stable job with an opportunity to travel. However, like all occupations, truck driving comes with exciting and boring moments. And a healthy work-life balance is essential to happiness and performance.
While jobs of this nature require a high amount of focus and awareness at times, there is quite a bit of time where the driver is required to rest or is behind the wheel for extended periods.
Luckily, in our modern world, there are many passive activities that help keep our minds active while allowing truck drivers to maintain alertness and attention to the road simultaneously.
Continue reading to learn how truckers can stay entertained on the road and during downtime below.
3 Entertainment Ideas for Truckers While Behind the Wheel
- Listen to Music — Sure, this may be one of the more obvious approaches to entertainment ideas for truckers on the road, but it’s a great way to do it! Today’s music streaming technology and apps make it super easy, convenient, and affordable (if not free) to listen to a seemingly unlimited amount of music of your choosing.
Download an app or two, such as Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, YouTube, and more, and select your favorite genre of music. Each app offers something different and access to an enormous amount of tunes, regardless of your taste in music.
Another great music option is satellite radio since truck drivers are not always in areas with cellular service.
- Listen to Audiobooks — Life can get so busy that finding time to read can be tricky. Luckily, truck drivers usually have an abundance of time, making listening to the books they’ve had on their reading list totally doable.
Purchasing single audiobooks can add up and become expensive. However, you can become an audiobook subscriber or get a library card at your hometown library and gain access to many audiobooks.
- Listen to Podcasts — If you are looking to stay intellectually stimulated and feel as though you’re a part of a conversation, podcasts are a great option for staying entertained on the road.
Podcasts are often a part of a series about a specific topic. If there’s something specific that interests you, chances are you’ll be able to find a podcast that focuses on that very topic.
Podcasts cover a wide variety of topics, like:
- True crime stories
- History topics
- TV and movies
- and more.
Podcasts can be streamed using cellular service or be downloaded, making it yet another reason podcasts are great for those on the road.
3 Entertainment Ideas for Truckers During Downtime
- Find a Hobby — Many truck drivers find that mandatory rest time can be a bit of an inconvenience. However, you can make the most of this time by taking up a new hobby or fostering the hobbies you already have.
One of the great parts about driving a truck is that you usually have space to bring along any of the supplies or equipment that you might need. Here are some ideas for hobbies you can take on the road with you:
- Learn guitar or another musical instrument
- Take up photography
- Start journaling or blogging
- Draw or paint
- Read books
- Learn a new language
- Explore Local Cities — As a truck driver, you have a unique opportunity to check out many different cities you may not otherwise visit. Whenever possible, park at a location that will allow you to get into the city to explore.
Take an Uber, taxi, or a form of public transportation into town and check out a professional sporting game, tourist attraction, or must-try restaurant. There are tons of things to do that won’t cost any money either. Go on a hike or head to a local park where you can spend some time outside; a great way to get changed back up for another stint on the road.
- Catch Up on TV — When you’re away from home a lot, you miss out on watching your favorite shows. During your mandatory downtime, you have the time to get caught up! Watching your favorite TV shows, movies, news, and sports games is a great way to unwind from the mental strain that comes with driving for hours on end.
Need Entertainment Ideas for Your Truckers? Get EpicVue!
One of the best entertainment ideas for truckers is equipping your fleet with EpicVue. EpicVue specializes in outfitting trucks with premium in-cab satellite televisions.
With EpicVue, truck drivers can kick back and watch their favorite TV shows and catch up on the latest sports events and news while they’re away. It doesn’t matter where you are on the road; the comforts of home are available with our satellite TV that lets you stay connected.
It’s easy to feel isolated and lonely while you’re out on a long haul, but watching TV while you’re away can help counteract those overwhelming feelings. It is the perfect way for truck drivers to relax during their mandatory recovery and rest time in the comfort of their truck.
This gesture creates loyalty, commitment, and appreciation between drivers and their fleets. Moreover, happy and healthy employees are much more likely to stay with their fleet, which significantly reduces the expensive, tedious cycle of recruitment and retention. The benefits you and your crew will see make EpicVue well worth the investment!
Even if you aren’t a part of a fleet and own your rig, EpicVue is a great addition to your truck!
With many premium channels, drivers are sure to find something they want to watch, regardless of their preferences. Contact our support team to learn more today!